Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pot-pourri of my thoughts

Yesterday my friend told me that I hadn’t written for long. No posts at all this year, apparently. A simple passing remark for her, maybe but it made me think. People notice. It’s always a nice feeling when you know there’s somebody reading what you write. Criticism for me is a form of appreciation. I got my pen and paper and decided I had to write. I was running out of ideas. Nothing much happening in my life. No great new year resolutions either. So chewing my pen, deciding what to write. I sat. A thought would appear but before I could shape it into words, it would simply disappear. I was struggling to write. A writer’s block, as I’d love to call it. I sat till 0230 hours in search of some imagination. Some topic. Some feeling. Anything that could get me to write. I sat online and I ended up facebook’ing. Finally sleeping over my laptop and books.

Today is a Sunday. Sundays, for me, are always special. I go to a Remand Home to teach English to the kids there. It’s been three years now. But everyday is a new day.It always feels like a fresh rejuvenating start. The energy the kids have, their affection, their unconditional love. There have been days when the worst of days have been changed into the best days by them. Their smiles. You always mean a world to them. It’s nice to be special in someone’s lives. And i am one in theirs. They in mine.

My kids, as I am proud to call them, asked me the meaning of the word change in class today. A simple word, I explained. A caterpillar changes into the butterfly. They understood. The literal meaning. Change, in life, has a deeper meaning. I thought to myself .

Change is the only thing constant in your life. I heard people say. First, when I had to change schools in my ninth grade, then again in my tenth and once more after my twelfth when I had to come to this city miles away from home leaving family and friends behind.I always wondered if change was that essential. If yes, why so? I failed to comprehend it all myself. I took it as a part of life and never questioned. In fact, I don’t question too much. Not in class. Not outside. I am not rebellious. I take whatever comes my way. (Don’t take my non-questioning behaviour as my timidity or you are in to commit a mistake!)

A few years in this city all by myself and I have realised what people around me could not explain. Rather what I could not understand. Change is essential. It is good. Happens with time. For a reason. Like today I changed my blog template. It’s not that I didn’t like the old one. But to infuse freshness. To avoid it from becoming stale. That was the reason. It happened with time. I like the new one now.

From dusk to dawn, the sun changes its colours. Seasons change. Within a span of years, the skyline of your city changes. (Mine has!) People around you change. sometimes you change in return too. Change is all around. The newest thing I’ve heard is the change in the Zodiac signs. I grew up believing I am a Taurean. A true one. Stubborn. Obstinate. Today I hear I am an Aries. Maybe I will accept that too. Change my Sunsign.

As I enter the new year 2011, I am sure for a fact, I am not the same person I was in 2010. I had made some decisions then to change. Changed? I have. This is a new me. In a new year. To discover new things. I hated change so long. I’ve started loving it now.

PS. 1: I hope you have all put in a lot of changes in your new year resolutions!
PS. 2: This is for all of you who were waiting for my new post. You guys keep me blogging! Thanks a ton.

2 comments:

  1. This was honestly one hell of a post. The description of change was beautifully written.

    When we spread different colors on a canvas, they mix up and create an array of shades. Some are serene and calm, some are flashy, some are ugly etc. That is change for me. A colorful event, full of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Chinmay. A beautiful description of change: "a colorful event, full of possibilities"

    ReplyDelete